Morocco High Atlas & Sahara Experience
A supported bicycle journey with a support car.
This cycling adventure promises not only stunning landscapes and challenging routes but also unique cultural experiences with the nomadic communities, making it an engaging and memorable journey on two wheels. Join us for an unforgettable cycling adventure, where you’ll explore the breathtaking Gorges Dadés, conquer the Tizi-n’Ouano at 2910m (the highest drivable pass in Morocco and North Africa), and ascend Tizi Tigherrhouzine at 2645m. Immerse yourself in the captivating Gorge du Todra and discover the distinctive lifestyle of nomads living in caves.
On the second part of your journey you explore the Sahara Experience, a cycling adventure tracing the legendary Paris-Dakar rally routes through the dunes of Erg Chebbi and Erg Chigaga. Ride through remote Riads and along unpaved roads, discovering the nomadic spirit and their culture. This journey goes beyond cycling; it’s a cultural exploration through the heart of the Sahara.
Our offer is exceptional, providing two distinct adventures: the High Atlas Adventure and the Cycling Sahara experience. What makes it truly special is that you can combine both for the ultimate adventure.
In the High Atlas:
Gorges Dadés, Tizi-n’Ouano 2910m (highest drivable pass in Morocco), Tizi Tigherrhouzine 2645m, Gorge du Todra
In the Sahara Desert:
You will see The dunes of Erg Chebbi and Erg Chigaga, some pistes from the legendary Paris-Dakar rally, traversing remote Riads, and unpaved roads.
You will travel light accompanied by the support vehicle, which will carry your luggage to the places where we will stay overnight. During the stages, you can choose to cycle alone and go at your own pace or together with other participants.
- Duration: 13 days
- Difficulty: difficult
- Bike: gravel or mtb, we reccomend 47mm tire and wider
- Bike rental: you bring your own bike or you can rent a bike
- Route in the High Atlas: Bou Tharar to Tinghir, 220km / +3500m -3900m, about 35km on unpaved roads, the remaining sections on roads in all kind conditions.
- Route in the Sahara desert: Merzouga to Foum Zguid on Paris-Dakar rally pistes, 443km / +1814m -1863m, about 50km on paved roads
- Daily pensum: about 50km till 130km, 4 till 8 hours on the bike
(you can join the car for the whole stage or a section, if a stage is too long for you)
- Group size: max. 6 person
- Full board: breakfast, dinner and snacks, sandwiche during the day
- Drinks: tea
- Support car
- Transport of your luggage between the accommodations
- Transbike-Adventure bike guide with knowledge of the route, fluid speaking english, polish and other languages
- Transbike-Adventure travel guide with knowledge of the area speaking german, english and french
- 12 nights in a single room in hotel, riad and tent camp, some places have a swimming pool
- Transfer from Marrakech to the start of the bike journey and Foum Zguid to Marrakech
What’s not included
- Flight to Morocco and bike transport or rental bike (from Euro 350.- for 13 days)
- Any drinks beside tea and water
- Annulation insurance, assistance insurance, health and accident insurance
- High Atlas & Sahara Experience: Euro 4900.-
Cycling Adventure Itinerary
Day 1: Arriving in Marrakech
Commence your journey in Marrakech, a vibrant city known for its bustling medinas, historic palaces like the Bahia Palace, and the lively Jemaa el-Fna square with its street performers and markets. Spend time in Marrakech on your own or with a local guide who will show you the city. Finish the day by meeting your crew over dinner to hear all about the adventure. Evening: briefing and material check, bikes set up.
Day 2: Transfer to Bou Tharar
Head towards Bou Tharar, a picturesque town nestled in the High Atlas. Grab mint tea and enjoy a stay at a traditional Kasbah surrounded by stunning mountain landscapes.
Day 3: Bou Tharar to Tizgun (48km)
Cycle through the High Atlas to Tizgun and relax at the riad situated amidst the breathtaking Dades Valley.
Day 4: Tizgun to Agudal (85km)
Ride over the Tizi-n’Ouano, with 2910m being the highest drivable pass in North Africa. Continue your journey to Agudal, one of the highest inhabited villages in Morocco. Rest at the local Auberge, which offers a tranquil oasis in the High Atlas.
Day 5: Agudal to Tinghir (92km)
Experience the beauty of Agudal before cycling to Tinghir, known for its lush oasis and dramatic Todgha Gorge. Later, transfer to the mesmerizing Merzouga.
(* If you book the “High Atlas Adventure” package, you will spend one night in Tinghir.)
Day 6: rest day in Merzouga
Unwind with a day of leisure by the swimming pool, take a camel ride across the dunes, or explore the charming shops in Merzouga for a well-rounded experience.
Day 7: Merzouga to Riad Nomade (90km)
Cycle from the golden dunes of Merzouga to the hidden riad, offering a unique desert experience.
Day 8: Riad Nomade to Sidi Ali (25km)
Cycle over the dry salt lake to Sidi Ali. Take a break in this picturesque village near the Algerian border and experience the nomadic spirit.
Day 9: Sidi Ali to Tagounite (134km)
Explore Sidi Ali’s tranquillity before cycling to Tagounite, a town on the edge of the Sahara.
Day 10: Tagounite to M’hamid (30km)
Cycle from Tagounite to M’hamid, a gateway to the Sahara. Enjoy the hospitality where the paved road ends.
Day 11: M’Hamid to Erg Chigaga (50km)
Traverse the dunes from M’Hamid to Erg Chigaga, where you’ll camp under the stars.
Day 12: Erg Chigaga to Foum Zguid (123km)
Conclude your desert cycling adventure by riding from Erg Chigaga through a beautiful palm oasis to Foum Zguid, a charming village and the natural border between the Anti-Atlas and the desert. Stay at the riad and enjoy local specialities.
Day 13: Transfer to Marrakech
Bid farewell to the desert as you transfer from Foum Zguid to Marrakech, capturing the essence of Morocco’s diverse landscapes. Arrive in Marrakech around 15:00.
Please note that any changes to the itinerary are subject to circumstances and require advance reservation.
From December 2nd 2023.